Overview:Analysis (PACT) & Design
- People undertake activities, in contexts using technologies.
- Film watching behaviour change according to technology
- From Silent, black film to Audio & Video HD DVD / Blue ray
People are different
- Psychologically (especially “mental model“, sth like your instinct gathered by experience)
Closer look at mental models
- Different groups has their own way of thinking what the software works (For example: KDE Target group)
- Ppl develop their mental models from system image (including feedback)
- This depends heavily on user’s knowledge, experience, etc.
- Think “Programmer” vs. “Carpenter” vs. “Banker” when facing a software.
Mental models can also be seen as “intuition” or something different.
Gathering mental models (which usually is hidden since they think it is intuition).
- Fill-in details that ppl don’t tell you.
- Are incomplete
Characteristics of different activities
- Temporal aspects (do it now or it’s useless)
- Co-operation and Complexity
- Safety critical
Temporal aspects of activities affect designs
- Frequency & Importance (Frequent / Freaking important activities should be designed to use damn easy / obvious)
- Busy times vs. quiet times
- Interruptibility (if it’s continuous, that’s easy. If it’s interruptible, give a way to resume the work)
- Response time
It should be self-explanatory, different context require different usage.
Technology change, and create oppoturnities for new design.
Technique to achieve PACT Analysis:
- Brainstorming – such a classics!
- Visualizing ideas – Anything other ppl could see: paper, body language, video, blog, etc!
- Interviewing with “Domain Experts” – They know the problem!
- Writing Scenarios – coming up by creating personas (some specific profile like that KDE User group)
An example: BTS / MRT Ticket purchasing machine
Basically, it’s kinda vending machine.
- Considered to use by everyone.
- Including foreigners.
- Including disabilities ppl.
- Including a child also!
- Trying to go somewhere.
- May carry something, or even a baby!
- People may need some help right there.
- Considered the area to be somewhat crowded.
- Purchasing a ticket should be considered as private.
- Process should be damn fast!
- How to enter data? 1 button per station ? How about having 50+ stations? Does it still scale?